October 7, 2011

Just the beginning . . .

Hi, I'm Sean.

I've been thinking about doing this for a long time, and have decided to finally start a blog.  I am a hand tool enthusiast in the process of setting up shop in the corner of my basement (hence the title).  This past weekend I attended Woodworking in America for a day, hanging out in the marketplace.  The night before there was a meetup at Keystone Bar of woodworking bloggers and friends that got me really excited about sharing like so many others.  Kari Hultman particularly encouraged me to finally start blogging.  I looked around that room and recognized so many faces that I recognized from their own online workshops tales that I knew I needed to get going.

I, like so many others, grew up watching Norm and St. Roy on PBS on the weekends.  I never really had any thought to try much of my own work.  There was no shop class in school, and, although my Dad is very handy, there just wasn't a lot of hand crafting being done.  Along the way, after High School and some college, I found myself framing houses.  I learned a ton doing that, including the fact that I'm pretty handy with tools.  My Dad has a fairly complete shop with a really all you'd need to work, but that's not my house, and I don't have room in this 1,000 sq.ft. house to have much in the way of a full featured modern shop.

I have a huge list of projects in mind.  Some shop related - a workbench, sawbench, dedicated sharpening station, etc. That will all help me build more and more often, which is a good thing.

Speaking of sawbenches, I'm in the middle of breaking down 2x10's for a Schwarz inspired bench (with handsaws, of course).  Needless to say, I'm very pleased with this:



Sean

4 comments:

Dyami Plotke said... Best Blogger Tips

Welcome, Sean.

Blogging is a slippery slope that you're sliding down quickly, but enjoy the ride. Its one of the most rewarding things I've done recently. I hope it brings you the same reward.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Beginnings are important. Will look forward to more.

WIA sure can get the juices flowing. I recently made a couple of saw benches similar to those in the 2nd CS bench book. Now I can use my Pax saws to break down stock. Some nasty carpal tunnel (I guess) issues with repetitive motions means I do not foresee ripping by hand.

Just put together a Moxon vise appliance with BenchCrafted hardware (thanks WIA vendors for so willingly taking my credit card). I like the new work level and security of the work holding. I am spoiled now.

Rock on, Sean, see at WIA next year.

Rob Bois said... Best Blogger Tips

Welcome aboard Sean. Looking forward to your projects.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

As a fellow newbie blogger myself, welcome to the mix Sean. Like you, I have a ton of stuff I'd like to make, but nearly enough time, tools or talent(yet). I'm looking forward to your posts!

Post a Comment